Monday, August 10, 2009

Surf´s Up!

Well, one week of school down, only a gazillion more to go. I can’t say that it was at all what I expected; in fact, it was totally opposite of anything I had expected or imagined! You’ll all be glad to know that I don’t have to wear the uniform that I was told to wear on the first day: 100% navy blue polyester pants and a white button down blouse. I wore it the first day, feeling quite like a fool, and then asked my pseudo boss (my real boss arrives on the 12th… a week and a half into my classes) if jeans would suffice and THANK GOODNESS he said yes! I can’t really speak to how actual classes are going to go, but this week, which was all orientation, was… weird! I met the kids, 2 high school classes of 11 and 13 respectively. One class of freshman, one of sophomores. I’d been told that freshmen were… we’ll say “trying” and that turns out to be very true. I adore the class of sophomores and tolerate the class of freshman. There are 2 kids in specific who just do not want to speak English and have bored looks on their faces all of the time, one boy and one girl. I pulled the boy aside and explained something’s to him and that seemed to have a positive effect on his behavior; perhaps I’ll have to do the same with the girl.

Real classes are supposed to start on Monday, following the curriculum set by our books (Let’s Talk 1 & 2 by Leo Jones… not so much recommended by yours truly), but the school didn’t order the right books, so I’ll be winging it another semana. I have the books, so I’ll just create lessons that align with those in the books. As my actual boss hasn’t yet appeared and explained things to me, I’m not sure exactly how things are going to go. Or how I will make photocopies, or how I will request a dvd player/tv, etc., etc. I also don’t exactly know how grading works here, except that they use a scale of 1-10, with 5 or lower being failing grades. I will be grading on homework, class work, participation, quizzes and projects… The great news about school is that they’ve given me 21 hours (starting the 24th of August), which is only 5 less than my boss told me originally and 6 more than she told me in her email. I’ll let you know how things turn out as they go. I’ll have one 6th grade class, one middle school (grade 7,8 and 9), and the two high school classes. Four 50-minute classes in a row from 8:30-12:30, with a 20-minute break somewhere in there. So far, so good, as long as I don’t have to wear that stupid uniform.

Every day is a new adventure, for sure. I am surprised by how much culture shock I actually felt and feel every day, considering that I’ve been to Zihua over 10 times. I feel like I’m in Spain all over again, except I didn’t expect to feel this way. I had to learn how to turn on my gas so that I could turn on the stove (at least I knew how to light the burners on a gas stove. Having always had electric stoves, that is saying something), learning to stick my head out on my balcony to yell at some man 5 floors below because I want him to bring up a jug of water, washing fruit or vegetable that enters my house so that I can eat it calmly later, without fear of Moctezuma’s revenge, etc. Thankfully, Pako, his sister and his mom are very understanding and are very willing to help whenever I need it. The whole extended family has been great and have welcomed me into their lives without blinking. They’ve always treated me that way, which is one reason I knew that I could do this.

We had the first real rain storm yesterday. This year has been unusually dry in Zihua, so I was glad when it finally poured. It’s better to know what you’re up against right from the start. The thunder was so loud that it made the windows rattle and the rain came down in all directions. It only rained hard for about 2 hours, but it was enough to cool the air a bit. We went to pick something up at Las Urracas and Pako’s dad was wearing a fishing vest over his t-shirt because he was cold. It was very amusing. I know that I always complained about the cold in MN, but even with this constant, intense heat which causes me to shower 3 times a day in cold water, I don’t think I’ll ever miss Winter. Fall and Spring maybe, not Summer as I live in the land of perpetual August and definitely not Winter. I like my snow with lime and raspberry flavoring (snow cones are called “nieves” here, which means ‘snow’).

Pako and I have been to the beach 3 times since I’ve been here. I made him get me a sun umbrella the 2nd time. At some point he bought me some board shorts so that I would fit in with the surfing crew, so now I’m totally immersed in surf culture, right down to my ensemble. He carries the umbrella (which is huge J) and I carry the surfboard. The picture is from today (8-8-09). Currently I just read and listen to my ipod, but eventually, I swear, I’m going to learn to surf. Pako is a phys ed teacher, for Pete’s Sake! He ought to be able to teach me to surf! I’m rather convinced. I’m also scared.

Ok, I think that’s all for now. Grey’s Anatomy was on TV last night (on one of the 4 channels that we get) and now it’s Gone in 60 Seconds. Good times. This morning I helped Petra (future mother in law) make enchiladas pobres (just cheese and onions in tortillas with yummy sauce – that’s why they’re called ‘poor enchiladas’) and later I’ll be watching her make some rice dish thingy. I’m learning a lot of tricks in the kitchen, which are tricky as nobody here measures anything and anyway, everything is in the metric system. I’m going to be a regular Betty Crocker-Hernandez.

Love to all, keep the emails coming!

Leyah

leah

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're getting everything under control, Leyah. I like the sounds of your schedule--I always got more work out of kids before lunch and still like to plow straight through rather than have lots of free periods between classes. I'll be interested in hearing about the developing dynamics in your classes and how Mexican students compare with those you taught here.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Betty Crocker-Hernandez. I love it! And I will be Suzie Homemaker.

    ReplyDelete