Monday, March 29, 2010

The Sol WILL come out tomorrow!!!

That’s right people, Pako goes back to work at SOL tomorrow! It was quite a close call for a while and we thought that, after two promising job opportunities, he wasn’t going to be working anywhere! It all started at Christmas, when Pako was working for Sol. It was a lot of work, but he liked the people he worked with and he really liked driving the big trucks (…). Sol had to let the temporary workers go, after only one month of work. They promised Pako they’d bring him back for Semana Santa if not sooner. Well, the weeks passed, rumors of reorganization of the agency and full time positions swirled and yet no call was made. We waited and waited.


Meanwhile, Pako’s roommate from college ‘Carrillos’ got married to a Mexican-American and started to make plans to go with her to California. Well, the wifey left and now he’s really hoping to go and so he thought maybe he could arrange a switcharoo at his job and have Pako step right into his place. He works at Pacifica hotel in Ixtapa. Compared to Sol, the hours are better, the pay is better and the possibilities for long term employment are better. Well, that all led to Pako dropping off his resume, having an interview and being told to call back this past Friday (2 days ago). While he was waiting to call back, Sol called (Wednesday) and offered him the temporary job. He was honest and told Sol he was waiting to hear about the other job and could he call them on Friday. Sol said yes, but by the time the hotel had decided that tourism was WAY TOO LOW to hire anyone new, Sol had changed their mind about waiting and had filled the spot. That was what I like to refer to as ‘Dark Friday.’


Needless to say, Pako and I were feeling sort of low. I went off to teach my last Saturday class until April 17th and he went to drop off his father’s laundry. I had sort of stopped thinking about it and was focused on preparing my students for their last quiz before break and I got a text message saying that Sol had called back and Pako started Monday! Woohoo! I got a huge grin on my face and so thus all my students clamored for the gossip, which I happily shared. Then, of course, came the requests for free beer, but I told them they were all too late and that my father already had dibs on any free beer. They were disappointed, but understood. Free beer is free beer after all, and one’s right to dibs it is respected.


We then went and spent the day at Lorena’s. She’s home now for 2 weeks also. We ate some lunch and then went down town to shop for her and Petra’s wedding attire. Pako and Lorena’s cousin, Ray, is getting married on Saturday and so everyone wants to look their best. In a shockingly frugal move on my part, I’m going to wear the same dress I wore to Chandra’s wedding and thus am just tagging alone for the shopping ride. Now that Pako is working, I’ve been commissioned to find him “a shirt” for the wedding. That is all the direction or constraint that I was given and thus, in my mind, I’m free to pick out any shirt I want and he’ll be happy with it… right? That evening Pako and Tito went to help Erandy and Mari (cousins) move into a new apartment on the 6th floor of an apartment building downtown. Lorena and I would have gone, but we were too tired from all of our rigorous (but so far fruitless) shopping. Instead, we observed earth hour, by turning off all lights and appliances for one hour.


Sunday (which is when this was going to be posted, but I was rudely interrupted by a skype call with my parents – sheesh), was a lazy day, but one that left everyone super tired. We spent the morning reading and lying around while the more pious family members (everyone but Pako and me) went to mass. Then we went to Lorena’s house and putzed around, created our own personal Loteria cards (in hopes of improving our dismal record), read, played with the rapidly growing puppies, and chatted. Then we grilled hamburgers on the grill, which is always delicious and played UNO. I won two games in a row, which is a personal best here in Zihua, where Lorena is the reigning UNO queen. Then we watched a tiny bit of the recently connected cable (which means tv shows and movies in English, yippee) and dragged ourselves home. It was 9:30 and Pako and I both just wanted to sleep. So we did.


That’s all for now folks, I promise more pictures and more adventures next week! Hope your spring continues to get warmer and more pleasant, wherever you are! I’m back to the states in under 4 months, so prepare yourselves for my triumphant return!


Bechitos!


Leyah

No comments:

Post a Comment