Thursday, January 7, 2010

3 weeks is too short!

Hello Blog World,

Well, on my last few days of freedom, my dread of going back to school increased. I knew I should want to go back, and it's not the actual class time that I dreaded, but all the bureaucratic B.S. (pardon my French) that I knew would along with it. In preparation of going back to school, I did everything I could do avoid actually preparing. I had finished writing the exams, but hadn't done any actual planning for class time. I knew that one way or another, whatever plans I made would be shifted and adjusted and tweaked in order to fit with whatever new obstacle the dream team of Jeanne and Ricardo decided to throw at me. So I got my hair cut. Pako's cousin, Erandy, was studying to be a stylist for awhile, so I asked her to cut my hair. She was WAY more nervous than I was (I wasn't nervous because I mostly wear my hair in a ponytail anywho) and was sweating bullets when I got to her house. She did a fine job and now I'm less about 3 inches of hair and feeling fine. Lorena went back to Apatzingan, Michoacan on Wednesday morning so there were no more excuses. I organized all of my papers, got my attendence, homework, classwork and discipline checklists ready and finally sat down to plan the two days of not-real-school that I was about to attack. I actually enjoy planning once I get into, but getting there is always an uphill battle.

Wednesday, Jan 6th is 'El día de los Reyes Magos' or for you English speakers, Day of the
Magician Kings/Day of the Three Kings. You know, the ones who brought the myrrh, the frankincense and that other thing... OH, just had a memory boost, it was gold! Totally just remembered that on the spot. Go me! Anywho, kids get gifts and people eat a sweet bread adorned with fruit in the shape of a ring (similar to a large, ovular donut) called 'una Rosca.' Inside this rosca there are usually 6 small plastic men, waiting to be found. Tradition states that a person can cut a piece from where ever they want in the ring, but if their piece has a little man in it (or if they uncover the head or feet of one sticking out of where they just cut), they are then obligated to make, buy or chip in for tamale and atole on February 2nd, which is called Día de la Candelaría (day of the Virgen of Candelaria). I've so far uncovered 2, Pako 1 and Alejandro 1. That means Pako and I will be putting forth 3/4 of the money (if not all seeing as Ale is an unemployed 14 year old with no income or money of his own) for the Feb. 2nd feast. Now, that means tamales and atole (a thick, cornmealy drink that can be seasoned with fruit and sounds gross, but is super good when it's chilly-ish out) for Pako (count as 4 adult men), Ale (count as 2 adult men), Petra (normal adult female), Me (half a normal adult female), my Dad (normal adult male) and my mom (normal adult female) or in other words... 9.5 people! Ah well, it's all part of the tradition.


*Sigh* I know that most people are grumbling that I shouldn't complain about 3 weeks vacation and that in no circumstance is a 3 week vacation too short, but GEEZ, first day back at school and it's as if we never left. Same unorganized bunch of crap, same broken printer/copier, same questions about immigration... you get the picture. It was nice to see the kids again and many of them gave me New Year's hugs (which is STILL weird for me -- I can't remember ever hugging a teacher until I graduated from that school! Certainly not in the middle of the school year, smack in the middle of the class period). I'm implementing a couple of new disciplinary proceduces this year and on Thursday, the first day back, I outlined them for the kids. My boss decided that was a good time to barge in and announce to the class (including the surprised and somewhat annoyed teacher) that every Friday would be movie day... which would be all well and good IF she had told me before I had planned/sketched out two months worth of instruction and written 8 exams AT HER REQUEST. *Sigh*

Things here have been strange, weather-wise, for the last week. I have thrice (yes, I love when I can fit that word in!) worn pants AND a sweatshirt! We've been getting cold air from the United States (darn you Statesiders!) and some random wind from a polar cap (not sure which one, but it doesn't matter as both are significantly cold) was blowing in across the ocean for goodness' sake! It has been raining on and off and there has been a fairly chilly breeze. 2 days in a row the high was about 65! This sounds like paradise, I'm sure, for those of you stuck under mountains of snow with 4 months left of midwest winter staring you in the face (come visit me, duh), but here that is COLD! None of my windows shut and I don't have hot water. Think I showered? Well, I did, but I went to Las Urracas and showered there, where someone else pays for the hot water :) I'm including a picture of Petra and Tequila to show you what it feels like to the natives of warmer climes. Doesn't she look darling? I thought so. We've also had a series of small earthquakes, which still surprise, amuse, entertain and scare me a little. It's so bizarre to feel the floor move when you live on the 5th floor of a cement block!

Tomorrow is the Packer game (yes I am writing a day early because tomorrow will be all about the Packers and thus I won't have any time to write) and I'm hoping for a repeat of last week's performance. One of my greatest football desires for this season is that the cards fall correctly and the Packers play the Vikings again and WIN! Oh, but that would be sweet! Anyhow, I've made Pako promise various times to go and watch the game with me, so we'll be sitting at La Perla, eating hamburgers and nachos and cheering for the studs in the Green and Gold!

OH! Before I forget, I would like to note that my dear friend, the future dentist Ms. Chelsea Twohig sent me a package of delicious Christmas cookies, 2 ultimate frisbee shirts from Spain (you'd have to know the girl to understand why she would send something so bizarre), an excellent bottle of purple nail polish, which will be used the next time Lorena does my nails and some rad nail files. I would include a picture of the cookies, but I ate them already!!! They were so good. So the good news is, you can stop pitying me and my lack of Christmas treats, I was taken care of by my dearest friend and partner in cookie crime! Love ya, Chels!!!

Next week: Back to school (half) full time, dieting due to overconsumption of sumptious cookies, the continued planning WAY ahead, another visit (or two) to immigration and the search for gnochhi in Zihua! Stay tuned and take care!

Bcchos y abrachos!

Leyah

No comments:

Post a Comment